Berry Panna Cotta
Our berry panna cotta is fruity and refreshing, perfect for a summer BBQ. Did you know? It originates from Italy and its name literally means “cooked cream”!
Ingredients – For the panna cotta, serves 6
- 450ml Jersey Dairy double cream
- 200ml Jersey Dairy whole milk
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
For the topping
- 400g strawberries (hulled, halved & even quartered if very large)
- 100g blueberries
- 50g white caster sugar
- 1½ tsp cornflour
- Mint leaves for garnish
– For the panna cotta, put the gelatine leaves in a small bowl of cold water to soften (this should take about 5 minutes).
– Meanwhile, pour the Jersey cream, milk and sugar into a pan, split the vanilla pod, scrape out the seeds and add, along with the pod, to the cream mixture. Heat gently until hot, but not bubbling.
– Next, remove the gelatine leaves from the water, squeeze out any excess liquid then add, one at a time, to the hot cream and stir until dissolved.
– Leave to stand for 25-30 minutes until cooled. Then strain the mixture through a sieve into 6 serving glasses and chill for 3 hours.
– For the fruity tops, toss the strawberries with the cornflour and sugar into a saucepan. Place over a medium heat and cook for 4-5 minutes. The released juices should thicken and the strawberries soften. Add the blueberries last, for about 30 seconds before you set aside for cooling.
– Once completely cooled, top the set panna cottas with the berry mixture. Chill until read to serve. And don’t forget the mint leaves for garnish. Enjoy!