Bread & Butter Pudding
- 25g of Jersey Dairy unsalted butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 350ml Jersey Dairy whole milk
- 25ml Jersey Dairy double cream (plus extra when serving)
- 8 thin slices of bread (day old bread works best!)
- 50g sultanas
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 large eggs
- 25g granulated sugar
- Nutmeg (grated, to taste)
– Grease your pie dish with Jersey butter (medium dish, recipe serves 4). Cut the crusts of the bread. Spread each slice with butter on one side, then cut into triangles.
– Arrange a layer of bread, buttered-side up, in the bottom of the dish, then add a layer of sultanas. Repeat the layers of bread and sultanas, sprinkling with cinnamon each time, until you have used up all of the bread. Finish with a layer of bread, then set aside.
– Gently warm the Jersey milk and Jersey cream in a saucepan over a low heat. Make sure the milk and cream does not boil.
– Crack the eggs into a large bowl and add three quarters of the sugar and lightly whisk until pale. Add the warm milk and cream to the bowl mixture and stir well, then strain the custard mix into another bowl. Pour the custard over the prepared bread layers, sprinkle with nutmeg and the remaining sugar and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
– Preheat the oven to 180c. Place the dish into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top has turned a golden brown.
Top tip – Spoon over any leftover cream when serving. Enjoy!