Can’t think of what to bake? Why not try our Jersey scones recipe. But what comes first? The jam or the cream…
- 85g Jersey Dairy unsalted butter
- 350g self raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 175ml Jersey Dairy milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon juice from freshly squeezed lemon
- Beaten egg to glaze
- Jersey Dairy butter
- Jersey Dairy whipped cream
- Strawberry jam
- Sliced strawberries
– Preheat the oven to 220C.
– Place 350g self-raising flour into a large bowl. Add 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp baking powder and mix.
– Cut the 85g butter into cubes and rub in with your fingers until the mix turns to fine crumbs. Then stir in 3 tbsp caster sugar.
– Pour 175ml milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds until warm, but not hot.
– Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, then put to the side.
– Put a baking sheet in the oven.
– Make a well in the dry mix, then add the milk etc and combine it quickly with a wooden spoon.
– Scatter some flour onto the work surface and tip the dough out. Dredge the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother. Pat into a circle around 4cm deep.
– Take a cutter and dip it into some flour. Plunge into the dough, then repeat until you have four scones. You may need to press what’s left of the dough back into a circle to cut out another four.
– Brush the tops with a beaten egg, then carefully place onto the hot baking tray.
– Bake for 10 mins until risen and golden on the top.
– Eat just warm or cold on the day of baking. Top with delicious Jersey butter, strawberry jam, Jersey cream and sliced strawberries.
– Serve and enjoy with a cup of tea or a glass of Jersey milk!