9 May 2020 marks 75 years since Jersey was liberated from German occupation at the end of the Second World War.
There is a strong desire to keep the memory of Liberation Day alive – to remember those affected by occupation and the War, to recognise the impact occupation and Liberation has had on Jersey’s present-day community and identity, and to celebrate freedom, peace and inclusivity.
This anniversary was set to be the biggest and most memorable celebration of Jersey’s liberation yet, with an array of vibrant and exclusive events taking place throughout 2020. Unfortunately, due to Covid-19 the celebrations have had to be adapted. But that doesn’t change anything, and every household in Jersey is invited to host their own Liberation Day pop-up party on Saturday 9th May. Decorate your house, play music and prepare tasty food. We’ve got you covered with dessert, try our fabulous Liberation Gateaux recipe below.
- 225g of Jersey Dairy unsalted butter (softened)
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 packet of strawberry jelly
- 250ml Jersey Dairy whipping cream
- 125ml Jersey Dairy natural yogurt
- 125ml Jersey Dairy strawberry yogurt
- Fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries
– Preheat the oven to 180C.
– Mix together the caster sugar and Jersey Dairy butter until creamy. Then add the flour and eggs and beat well.
– Pour the mixture into a tray bake tin and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. When ready, remove the sponge from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
– Make up 500ml of jelly.
– Once the sponge has cooled to room temperature, place it onto a serving plate and carefully spoon over the jelly.
– Whip the Jersey Dairy cream until fairly stiff and then stir in the Jersey Dairy natural and strawberry yogurt. Spread all over the top of the sponge.
– Cut the strawberries into thin slices and place them overlapping each other to make a cross. Place the raspberries in diagonal lines and fill the triangle gaps with blueberries so that you have made the Union Jack.
– Place your Liberation Gateaux in the fridge until ready to serve at your Liberation Day pop up party! For best results the cake should set for 4 hours in the fridge before eating.
Top tip – Spoon over any leftover cream and fruit when serving. Enjoy!