Recipe – Mmmm! Hot Chocolate made with Jersey Dairy milk!
Best ever hot chocolate! Brrr! As the weather starts getting cooler, your thoughts may be moving away from refreshing cold milk and towards hot chocolate. But instead of reaching for the ready-made, overly sweetened varieties, how about making your own healthy version?
This delicious, warming hot chocolate drink is sooo simple to make!
- 1 heaped tsp of 100% cocoa powder (lots of food stores sell this)
- 1 mug-full of full fat or semi-skimmed milk
- (Optional) Honey or sweetener of your choice
- (Optional) Grated dark chocolate to decorate
- (Optional) 2 tbsp double cream or whipped cream to top the drink
What to do:
- Start heating the milk gently in a saucepan or the microwave; get it hot, but not boiling
- Place the cocoa powder into a mug and mix with a little milk or water to make a smooth paste
- When the milk is warm, pour it into the mug slowly, stirring the mix as you go
Voilà, that’s it!
For extra deliciousness and creaminess, replace up to a fifth of the milk with double cream.
Or, if you’re reading this in the summer, heat the milk only enough to get the cocoa powder to mix, and then let it cool. Add a milk ice cube or two to the mix for an even more refreshing drink!
When you warm up milk, you’ll notice it tastes sweeter – that’s the milk sugar (lactose) coming through to tickle your taste buds! But if you like your hot chocolate even sweeter, try adding a spoonful of local honey to the mix.
The milk provides protein, calcium, vitamins A, D and K, good fats and lactose. You can find out what these nutrients can do for you here:
The cocoa powder contains: fibre, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc and a number of flavonoids. There are so many health benefits to cocoa powder that we haven’t got space to put them here! If you’d like to know more, here’s a page that tells you many of them: https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/other/health-benefits-of-cocoa.html