With summer just around the corner, a vegetable quiche is the perfect dish for all of the family to enjoy while sitting out in the garden.
Ingredients – For the pastry
- 175g of Jersey Dairy butter (cold & cubed)
- 225g plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 large beaten egg
For the filling
- 300ml Jersey Dairy double cream
- 180g Jersey Dairy cheddar cheese (grated)
- 100g asparagus (halved length ways)
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- Sprinkle of salt & pepper
– If you have a food processor, put the flour and Jersey butter in the mixer until they take on the texture of bread crumbs. No processor, no problem! Place in a mixing bowl and rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips.
– Preheat the oven to 180C.
– Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Make sure the circle is big enough to line the tart tin, and 3mm thick. Leave a generous edge to allow for shrinking in the oven. Lay the pastry in the tin and push it gently down. Prick the base and sides of the pastry with a fork and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
– Line the chilled pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the beans and paper and put the pastry case back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
– While the pastry is cooling, the cherry tomatoes go into the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper until soft at 180C (about 15-20 minutes).
– Next, snap the bottom of the asparagus where it naturally breaks off and discard the bottom. Then cut off the tips and cut the stalk in half. Fill a saucepan with boiling water and a tsp of salt. Add the asparagus and cook until al dente.
– Once cooked to al dente, remove the asparagus and transfer them to a bowl of cold water to stop them from cooking further.
– Whisk the Jersey cream, grated cheese and eggs together in a mixing bowl and pour it into the cooled down pastry. Arrange the cherry tomatoes and asparagus on top and bake the quiche for 25–35 minutes, or until the filling is set and golden-brown on top.
– Take out of the oven and serve warm.
Top tip – Enjoy your vegetable quiche with a side salad and some delicious Jersey royals.