Jersey Dairy is once again taking part in FebruDAIRY! The social media campaign runs throughout the month of February to celebrate the dairy industry.
Local producers and supporters are promoting all things dairy across their social media platforms. Becky Houze, The Jersey Cowgirl is posting interesting dairy farm facts every day this month, and Phil Le Maistre at Master Farms has been showcasing to his followers what happens in the milking parlour.
At Jersey Dairy we want to celebrate our amooozing dairy farmers and eliminate some of the myths about dairy farming and dairy products, particularly in relation to health (nutritional values), animal welfare and the environmental impact of dairy farming.
Our dairy farmers don’t just provide the Island with high quality fresh Jersey milk every day, but they are custodians of the countryside, and all of our farms are LEAF accredited (Linking Environment and Farming).
Jersey has some of the strictest laws in the world regarding animal welfare. Jersey Dairy farms are all Red Tractor certified and they maintain a proactive management of the health and welfare of all livestock on the farm.
Februdairy is all about milking these messages and celebrating our beautiful Jersey cow and our legend-dairy farmers who work so hard to provide us all with nutritious and delicious Jersey milk.
Some fun facts!
- Did you know? All cows have a unique pattern on their nose, very similar to a human’s finger print. No print is ever the same and it serves as a method of identification.
- Jersey Dairy places great emphasis on quality and food safety. This starts on the farm! After each milking, the parlour is washed thoroughly with very hot water and a cleaning product to make sure that all of the equipment is cleansed before the next milking. This ensures high quality milk for our customers!
- Did you know? Cows can’t bite because they don’t have any top front teeth! Instead of a top set of teeth they have a rough tongue to break down their forage.
- It’s simple…Happy cows produce better milk! That’s why our Jersey cows can keep themselves entertained scratching their backs while in the cow shed. The brushes are extremely flexible, they rotate back and forth and help to promote excellent herd health.
- Have you herd…? A large majority of the cows in Jersey have their very own cow fit bit! This small piece of technology is quite incredible and has made our farms even more efficient. The CowManager monitors the herd in any situation. It is the ultimate dairy farmer’s tool allowing any cow to be continuously monitored on their health, fertility, nutrition, location and fertility. Our dairy farmers can receive real-time information on their smartphone and/or other devices anytime of the day.
- Did you know? On average a Jersey Dairy cow produces 20L of fresh Jersey milk every day!
- Our Jersey cows are ‘aMOOzing’. They produce milk which contains 18% more protein and 20% more calcium than milk from other breeds. And aren’t they pretty…