Winter Warming Chicken & Mushroom Pie
This winter warming pie is packed with chicken, mushroom, leek, spinach and a creamy Genuine Jersey sauce.
- 40g Jersey butter
- 100ml Jersey Dairy double cream
- 1 large leek, washed and chopped into 2cm pieces
- 200g mushrooms, chopped
- 4 x 250g chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 6 sheets of filo pastry
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 190°C. Heat the Jersey butter in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat.
- Add the leek and mushrooms and fry for 2–3 minutes until they just start to soften. Turn the heat to high and add the chicken pieces. Fry for a further 2 minutes and pour the chicken stock into the pan and let it simmer.
- Meanwhile, mix the cornflour with 2 tablespoons of water until smooth, then pour into the pan, along with the Jersey Dairy double cream. Bring back to the boil, stirring gently, and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the pan from the heat and stir in the spinach.
- Next, pour the mixture into a pie dish and set aside to cool slightly.
- Take a sheet of filo and roughly crumple it in your hands.
- Place the crumpled filo on top of the chicken filling in the pie dish and repeat with the remaining filo sheets.
- Drizzle the pastry with olive oil.
- Bake the pie for approx 20 minutes, the filo should have crisped up and turned golden brown in places.
- Serve your pie with local veg or salad. Or go all out like we did, and enjoy with crispy roasties!